Private Journeys: The Basque Country & La Rioja
Basque Culinary Capitals
Bilbao has the Guggenheim—a masterpiece not to be missed. San Sebastián is a gem, set right by the sea. This itinerary takes in both—and they are truly two of Spain's most inviting small cities: easily strollable, totally sociable, and big on good eats. And you just have to see the gorgeous coast between these two Basque culinary capitals—it's unforgettable, too.
We'll steer you to the best pintxos (those perfect small plates), rustic grills in fishing villages, and Michelin stars, if you want to live large. The local txakoli wines are worth discovering, too. Especially when you taste them the way you will on this trip: where the grapes are grown, on verdant landscapes overlooking the blue, blue Bay of Biscay.
This journey is perfect for travelers who want a big bite of the Basque Country on a brief foray, with a little boost of insider guidance along the way.
- One night in Bilbao—we like a mod 4-star by the Guggenheim (upgrade to a 5-star classic or opt for a simple 3-star)
- 2 nights in San Sebastián—our pick: a swell 4-star boutique (5-star luxe or a great little surfer place are options)
- A private half-day guided stroll in Bilbao, with a visit to the market and lunch at our favorite old-school bar
- Tickets to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao and a personalized orientation to what to see there
- A tasting at a txakoli winery on the coast overlooking the Cantabrian Sea
- Pintxos on a route of fabled San Sebastián bars
- All breakfasts, Bilbao bar lunch, pintxos dinner in San Sebastián, wine tasting
- Smart local advice about other food experiences to suit your style, and help with reservations, if needed
- Your rental car and the perfect route along the coast between the two cities (upgrade to a car service if you prefer)